UoN Q Building (Honeysuckle Campus Stage 1A)
|Location:||Australia - Newcastle|
- 3,200 sqm four storey building
- 6 Star Green Star Design & As Built Rating
- Sustainable mass timber construction
- Innovative electrochromic facade
- Exposed building services
- Seminar, conference, exhibition and research facilities
- Winner - 2022 AIRAH Excellence in Sustainability Award
UoN unveils its future for creative studies, innovation and entrepreneurship at Honeysuckle Campus
Located at the University of Newcastle’s new city campus, Benmax was awarded the mechanical services contract for the Q Building (formerly referred to as Honeysuckle City Campus Stage 1A) located on the corner of Honeysuckle Drive and Worth Place by builder Hansen Yuncken.
The four storey building is the first in the university’s Honeysuckle Campus Master Plan and was fast-tracked by the NSW Government as part of their shovel ready infrastructure stimulus during the COVID-19 pandemic. Achieving strict sustainability targets, an exposed building services aesthetic, and highly efficient operating standards the 3,200 sqm new construction comprises CLT/glulam structure to reduce embodied carbon and minimise construction waste, rainwater capture for cooling towers and toilets, energy efficient HVAC systems, solar roof panels, and electrochromic glazing panels.
The building’s exterior employs a BMS controlled active façade which articulates with the dynamic HVAC systems to provide optimised temperature control within the occupied space. Building operators can actively manage ambient light and solar angle through control of individual glazing panels, rooms and/or entire elevations. The HVAC system features a constant and variable volume low temperature solution serving all levels affording benefits including reduced services footprint, reduced fan energy consumption, and when working concurrently through the BMS with the active façade, significant energy savings. Green Star energy modelling shows the system will use 63% less energy for heating and 70% less energy for cooling (compared to a Green Star reference case) and contribute to a 30% building water reduction.
The experience of the Benmax engineering and drafting team was crucial in supporting Hansen Yuncken and the UoN to meet the strict construction methodology and BIM technology techniques required for the build. The team successfully completed work on the project in May 2021.
Since completion, the Q Building has gone on to receive several industry accolades and we congratulate project partners for their achievements, including:
- Benmax – Winner of the Excellence in Sustainability Category at the 2022 AIRAH Awards
- Hansen Yuncken – Winner of the Best Public Building $20m – $30m at the MBA Newcastle Excellence in Building Awards 2022
- Hansen Yuncken – Winner for Best Use of Glass (Commercial) at the MBA Newcastle Excellence in Building Awards 2022
- EJE Architecture – Finalist in the Education and Research category at the 2022 National Sustainability Awards (winners to be announced November 2022)