NZ MPI National Biocontainment Laboratory
|Sector:||Government, Health & Research|
|Location:||New Zealand – North Island|
- PC2 and PC3+ rated laboratories
- 3,400 sqm laboratories
- Negative pressure and multiple stage, high efficiency air filtration systems
- Decontamination facilities
- Flexible design to support greater use of the building during biosecurity emergencies
- Earthquake protection capable of withstanding a 'one in 2,500 year' earthquake
The New Zealand Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) is constructing the new National Biocontainment Laboratory at the National Centre for Biosecurity and Infectious Disease in Wallaceville, Wellington. The $87 million project will replace the existing high-containment lab that is out dated and cannot accommodate some modern laboratory testing methods.
Benmax secured the mechanical services contract for the project that will see the team on site until early 2019. The new facility will meet international best practice for handling pathogens and will utilise the most sophisticated systems and safety features in the world. The flexible and adaptable design will allow for new technologies to be introduced as they become available.